Monday, December 31, 2012

Last Minute Thing

This map has been made in 7 days, finishing 3 days before the race. I set the courses in 3 hours, while I was having a trip in Tokyo. A classic example of LAST MINUTE WORK.

Since some years ago, HK orienteering ranking events go to Mainland China for better and new terrains. This season there are two out of six going to Guangdong, including this one. I was originally a competitor but was asked to be the course setter two weeks before the event.



I set the first draft of the ME course on a Google satellite map after a quick check around the area with the mapper. Then this China's top mapper made the map in 7 days and send to me at the night before he brought the field crews to place the tapes. That night was the most enjoyable course-setting-night I've ever had, despite the extremely tired body after crazy shopping around Tokyo for the whole day.

We are bored by the familiar terrains in Hong Kong, so we headed north. Like orienteering, the north always surprise us. Sometimes we get a piece of shit, while sometimes we can taste a fresh and delicious cake. Ya, this is orienteering.  














No comments: